15th October. AFC Dunstable 0 London Tigers 2

AFC succumbed to their 5th league defeat of the season, as London Tigers scored two quality goals to decide this encounter.

Both teams were very evenly matched, but Tigers had more desire than AFC and deserved all 3 points on that showing. The home side saw 2 players returning from injury, as Wayne Mills and Taishan Griffith took their places on the bench. It was not all good news though, as Matt Langston is now out injured and the influential Leon Cashman had work commitments.

Again Jamie Head deputised for the injured Louis Porcelli in goal and you had to feel sorry for him, as he mainly had nothing to do all evening except pick the ball out of the net twice.

As before, the game was very even in horrendous conditions, as the rain did not stop for the whole 90 minutes. AFC started brightly and had the majority of the possession in the opening exchanges but just did not pull the trigger when in decent positions. A mazy run from Jimmy Hartley saw his strike hit the upright 20 minutes in. Then Tigers took the lead with a superb strike from Hesham Benmansour with 28 minutes on the clock.

Half time. AFC Dunstable 0 London Tigers 1

Manager Steve Heath decided to make a couple of changes at half time. On came Lorrell Smith and Wayne Mills for Jamal Harvey and Enzo Silvestri. Hoping it would have the desired affect, it was dashed within 3 minutes of the re start, as a defence splitting pass found Benmansour and he lobbed Head to make it 2-0.

AFC continued to press but too many passes were misplaced to put any sort of pressure on the Tigers back line who held firm.

Summing up, Tigers probably deserved the points on effort alone and if AFC are to challenge this season, they will need to start showing the same kind of commitment. The result was a big disappointment, as a victory would have seen them move up to joint 2nd in the league. Also this was the first time the Tigers had enjoyed a victory over AFC at the 7th attempt.

Go to top