19th November. AFC Dunstable 4 Hillingdon Borough 4

AFC home midweek blues continued, as they threw away another 2 points in a game they should have won at a canter and blew the chance to close the gap on Sun Sports. The team are still to register a win at home midweek after 5 attempts and have conceded 13 goals and lost out on 11 points.

After the solid performance on Saturday that yielded a clean sheet, AFC boss Steve Heath decided to name an unchanged side and it could not be so different.

They dominated the game in chances and should have been 1-0 up in the 3rd minute but somehow Fabio Bufano contrived to miss the target from a yard out. Next up was a rasping drive from Moses Olaye which struck the upright with Hillingdon's keeper Frank Attwell well beaten.

Finally AFC took the lead on 25 minutes when Chris Francis netted his first goal of the season from close range. The home side continued to press and it seemed it would be only a matter of time before they would register again. Jamie Warne had a decent pop at goal and Jimmy Hartley had a shot cleared off the line. With half time approaching they fell for the sucker punch. Failing to clear their lines, the ball broke to Charles Connor who lashed the ball home.

Half time. AFC Dunstable 1 Hillingdon Borough 1

After a tongue lashing from Heath, it seemed to do the trick as within 2 minutes of the re start, Leon Simpson broke clear and put AFC in front. Once again Simpson outstripped the visitors defence and his shot hit the post. It was now all AFC and when Francis doubled his tally for the night, a 3-1 scoreline was no more than AFC deserved.

Unfortunately AFC then hit the self destruct button as firstly Taishan Griffith conceded a penalty. Ricky Perks in the AFC goal saved the spot kick but the home defence gave him no protection from the rebound and Roy Byron pounced to pull a goal back on the hour. If the defence was day dreaming then, it got worse 7 minutes later. A well worked free kick was put into the corner and Griffiths and Hartley left the ball for each other. In nipped Ben Dunkwu to cross for Byron to score again. Amazingly it was now 3-3.

Back came the home side and from a great Newman Carney free kick, Hartley was on hand to score to put AFC back in the lead. Surely now they would hold on but no. From a free kick, they failed to clear the box and Tim Sogunro was on hand to score well into injury time. Hillingdon sensed blood and could have nicked it as they forced to late corners but for once they were cleared.

A lost for words Heath said " how we did not win that game I will never know. Oh yes I do, if we continue to lose concentration at important times in a game, we will be punished and tonight was a prime example" he continued " the team performed so well on Saturday and as we were so solid, I thought we had turned the corner. Tonight was the complete opposite and if we are to be title contenders, we have to be switched on for the whole 90 minutes. If we don't on Sunday in the FA Vase, we will be found out. We will really need to address our home results, as that is now 16 points we have dropped and that is not championship form"

AFC Team. Perks. Carney. Griffiths (Mills 68). Biggadike (Bishop 68). Cashman. Hartley. Warne. Bufano. Francis (Hall 72). Olaleye. Simpson. Subs not used. Harvey. Porecelli

Scorers: Francis (25 & 51) Simpson (47). Hartley (70)


Go to top