7th February. London Tigers 3 AFC Dunstable 3

AFC boss Steve Heath all but conceded the title to Kings Langley, after a 90th minute goal by London Tigers saw his team come away with only a point, he said "even though they still have 17 games left, with such a superior goal difference, they can afford to lose 4 games and we have to win all ours to overhaul them. Saying that though, I will not give up the fight to win games to try and catch them but is theirs to lose. Also they have just signed ex Hemel Hempstead forward Lewis Toomey, so they have great options upfront" he continued " today was one of those games that we controlled for long periods on another awful pitch, but we conceded sloppy goals which cost us 2 points"

One change was made from the 5-0 win over Stotfold last Saturday. With Wayne Mills unavailable, in stepped George Biggadike at right back. AFC started the game on the front foot and camped in the Tigers half for the first 20 minutes. Great chances fell to Fabio Bufano and Jermaine Hall and being 3-0 up in that period would not have been unjust.

AFC deservedly took then lead on 26 minutes when a superb Jonathan Cooper strike found the bottom corner of the net. Then they hit the self destruct button in the next 10 minutes. They failed to defend 2 set pieces and before they knew it were 2-1 down.

Half time. London Tigers 2 AFC Dunstable 1

Needing to pick up the pace, a great through ball by Biggadike picked out Chris Francis, who slotted home on 47 minutes. AFC were now putting the Tigers defence under pressure, as they put their lives on the line to defend their goal. A Hall header was brilliantly tipped over the bar by their keeper and Francis was causing them all types of problems. The visitors finally took the lead when a great run by Taishan Griffith saw his shot blocked, but his determination saw him fire home the rebound on the hour.  

AFC should have been out of sight 6 minutes later, when a Hall shot hit the post and rolled away to safety. Then a goalmouth scramble did not go AFC's way and another chance to score had gone. With Louis Porcelli mainly a spectator for most of the game in the OD's goal, he first meaningful touch of the ball came on 76 minutes. Looking like they would hold out and with time running out, AFC failed to clear their lines and Tigers scored in the 90th minute to get a share of the spoils with their 3rd scrappy goal.

A disappointed Heath tried hard not to show it after the game, he said " it feels like a defeat today, I cannot fault the teams hard work and apart for 10 minutes in the 1st half, we dominated the game. If we would have converted our early chances it might have been a different scoreline" he continued " you don't mind if you lose out to well worked goals but all 3 of their goals were so untidy and had no creativity to them. The ball fell kindly for them to score"

AFC Team: Porcelli. Biggadike. Carney. Fryer. Cashman. Griffith (Warne 82). Cooper. Bufano. Hall. Bishop. Francis (Simpson 85). Subs not used. Silvestri. Hartley. Langston.

Goalscorers: Cooper (26). Francis (47). Griffith (60).

Crime count: Bishop (yellow) 

Go to top