11th August - AFC Dunstable 2 Biggleswade United 0

For the 2nd season in a row, AFC Dunstable have won their opening 2 games of the season in the league, with a decent performance at Creasey Park.

With a massive revolution taking place at Biggleswade United, the management team were in the dark on what to expect. In the end, apart from a 15 minute spell in the 2nd half when United threatened, it was a game that AFC mainly controlled.

Hoping to start with with the same team from Saturday, skipper Moses Olaleye missed out due to a knock, so Leon Cashman was pushed into midfield and took the captains armband. Fabio Bufano came in at centre back. AFC started on the front foot and moved the ball well. After 2 minutes they were awarded a free kick. Usually from these positions, Newman Carney whips in great balls but on this occasion he failed. He soon made up for it 2 minutes later, as from exactly the same position, he found his range and Brandon Carney powered in a bullet header to give AFC the lead.

In a midfield battle, with ex AFC Russ Clarke in Biggleswade's ranks, the visitors did not really threaten, as everything they tried was either snuffed out by the home defence or came to nothing. Up the other though, AFC continued to keep the ball and searched for an opening. It should have been 2-0 on 32 minutes, when great work down the left by BJ Christie, his pin point cross found Jermaine Hall 5 yards from goal. Instead of smashing the ball home, he decided to side foot it and that gave United's keeper Brandon Thompson time to make a wonderful save.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 1 Biggleswade United 0

Continuing their progression of the 1st half, AFC finally doubled their lead 8 minutes into the new half. A great 40 yard pass from Courtney Massay found Christie on the edge of Biggleswade's box. He jinked inside beating 2 defenders and fired low and hard into the net.

On the 1st half showing of the visitors, it now seemed it would be a stroll in the park. This was to prove wrong, as United started to get a foot hold in midfield. Sub James Chisholm started to pull the strings and increased their opportunities. He was the link between midfield and forwards as they started to create chances. Gary Malone in the AFC goal was mainly a spectator up till now. He was though called into action to make a save fit for the cameras on 67 minutes. His save 8 minutes later was so spectacular, it drew applause from everyone in the stadium.

Given the visitors head of steam, AFC had to buckle down and their threats started to diminish as they nullified Chisholm a bit more. Soon AFC were again on the front foot, as Christie came close to notching his 2nd but his run and strike just went wide.

So 6 points from the first 2 games and AFC boss Steve Heath was happy with the performance. He said at the final whistle " apart from that 15 minutes in the 2nd half, I thought we mainly controlled the game and scored 2 well worked goals. Again like Saturday, we have the better of the 1st half and need to show more for our play than the scoreline suggests"

AFC travel to Windsor on Saturday in the FA Cup.

AFC Team: Malone. Massay. N.Carney. Bufano. Griffiths. Jones. N.Carney. Cashman. Hall. Turney. Christie. Subs used. Griffiths. Byron. Subs not used. Ryan. Cooper. Baird.

Goalscorers. B.Carney (4). Christie (53)

Attendance 72.

Go to top