15th August - Windsor 0 AFC Dunstable 1 (FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round)

With the tie heading for a replay, 10 minutes from time, a neat piece of play by substitutes Jon Cooper and Brandon Carney settled this FA Cup game, when they linked well for Carney to set up BJ Christie to hit the winner.

Making the trip to Combined Counties outfit Windsor turned out to be a nightmare. Leaving Creasey Park at 12.30, it took 2 hours to make the 41 mile trip as the M25 was its usual car park. This gave the team only 20 minutes to prepare for the game and to come through was a credit to all the players.

With skipper Moses Olaleye still not fit, he took his place on the bench only to support the players. Danny Jones also missed out with a foot injury picked up on Tuesday. So Taishan Griffith got a start as did Roy Byron. Courtney Massay was pushed into midfield as Billy Baird slotted in at right back.

On a carpet of a pitch, AFC created the 1st chances when Griffith and Jermaine Hall had shots at goal. On 16 minutes the first real chance fell to Leon Cashman. From a corner he powered his header goal wards but it was cleared off the line. The tie was now going from end to end, as Garry Malone in the AFC goal, had to make a smart save at strikers Lucas feet. With half time approaching, a sweet Massay strike just cleared the bar.

Half Time: Windsor 0 AFC Dunstable 0

The visitors opened up more brightly at the start of the new period. Hall showed some good footwork, but his strike at goal lacked any pace and was pushed round the post by Dennison. With 53 minutes gone Christie had a header at goal but was easily fielded by Dennison.

Windsor were now starting to rely on Lazarczuk long throws, but Cashman was up to the challenge to clear. With 70 minutes gone, yet again Dennison denied Christie with a smart save. The home side still had a threat and they came close on a couple of occasions. Now it was time to introduce Cooper and Carney. They linked so slickly on the left hand side and when Carney bore down on goal, his strike was palmed out by Dennison and fell nicely for Christie to slot home.

Windsor were now finding it hard to cope with Carney's energy, he should have made it 2-0 when he burst clear but his final touch let him down. AFC kept the ball well in the final stages to see out time and secure a place in the next round away to Newport Pagnell Town.

With all the travel trial and tribulations a relieved AFC manager Steve Heath said " credit to the team today as our preparation before kick off was to a minimum. The journey was a complete nightmare, as Windsor is normally a 40 minute trip but to take 2 hours is a joke. We could not do our full pre match warm up and it showed early in the game" he continued " we finally settled after about 30 minutes and on chances we probably shaded it. At the break I knew I still had quality on the bench and it showed with the introduction with Cooper and young Carney. The lads showed great character which I was extremely pleased with"

Team: Mallone. Baird. N.Carney. Griffiths. Cashman. Griffith. Massay. Byron. Christie. Turney. Hall. Subs used. B.Carney. Cooper. Bufano. Sub not used. Olaleye

Scorer: Christie (80)

Attendance 127

Go to top