10th October - Cockfosters 1 AFC Dunstable 3

It has taken AFC three 3 attempts to finally get past Cockfosters, as they picked up the 3 points to remain top of the league. For the first 30 minutes of the game, the visitors carried on where they left off last Saturday at Creasey Park, on the front foot and putting pressure on the home sides goal.

One change was made from last week. Jason Beck came in for Fabio Bufano in the centre of defence. With 14 minutes on the clock AFC took the lead. A corner from Newman Carney, was headed back across goal by Beck and Terry Griffiths was the first to react as he slotted home.

AFC continued to probe and soon it was 2-0 with a sublime finish by BJ Christie. From a Ricky Perks goal kick, Leon Cashman flicked the ball into Christie's path. As the hero from last week, Fosters keeper Ravan Constable advanced, the AFC striker coolly lobbed the ball over his head, to double the visitors lead on 25 minutes.

The visitors were now in complete control and within 6 minutes it was 3-0. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the box. Up stepped Newman Carney to curl the ball over the Cockfosters wall. The ball struck the crossbar and Josh Humbert was on hand to tap home the rebound.

It was now looking how many AFC would score on the day. Then the referee pulled up with a calf injury. He received a good 10 minutes of treatment, then eventually had to be replaced by the senior assistant referee. This delay in play seem to affect AFC more than Cockosters, as they lost their momentum.

Cockfosters then pulled a goal back on 40 minutes. As AFC cleared their lines, the ball deflected and fell kindly for Ben Hart who ran through and drilled the ball past Perks. 

Half Time: Cockfosters 1 AFC Dunstable 3

With some decent football being played by AFC in the 1st half, they found it hard to recreate it in the 2nd. The hosts decided to work a lot harder and nearly reduced the arrears but for an excellent clearance off the line by Courtney Massay. If Constable was having a quiet afternoon compared to last Saturday, he soon made amends. A nice move by AFC saw Christie set up sub Jonny Cooper. As he placed his shot right in the bottom corner, somehow Constable got down and made a wonderful save. This was the last action of the game and 3 points were taken back to Dunstable.

Steve Heath reflected on the game and thought the injury to the official knocked his team out of their stride, he said " we were so comfortable for the first half an hour and was putting plenty of pressure on Cockfosters. Then the delay in play did us no favours. I cant complain, as that is another 3 points chalked off and we move onto Tuesday at Kenilworth Road to take on Luton Town in the County Cup"

AFC Team: Perks. Massay. N.Carney. Beck. Griffiths. Griffith. B.Carney. Olaleye. Christie. Humbert. Cashman. Subs used. Cooper. Byron. Bufano.

Scorers: Griffiths (14). Christie (25). Humbert (31)

Attendance 72 

Go to top