28th November - AFC Dunstable 3 Sun Sports 0

It was a landmark game for AFC's BJ Christie, as he secured his 175th goal for the club, which equates to being achieved in around 5 seasons, as he moved on a couple of times mid season to further his career higher up the pyramid, as bigger clubs came calling.

Also at the end of the match, it was a good day for the OD's, as they returned to the top of the league with London Colney being held to a goalless draw at Tring Athletic. With defeats for fellow championship title contenders Berkhamsted and Hertford Town, it again showed this league campaign will go right to the wire.

There was two changes from Wednesday win. A fit again Jason Beck came in for Danny Ryan and Brandon Carney for Nathan Frater. 

With the wind at their backs, AFC were on the front foot from the start. Only 6 minutes had surpassed when Jermaine Hall set up Christie. He snatched at his shot though and screwed it wide from 15 yards. 12 minutes later a Newman Carney free kick flashed just by the upright. It was Newman's brother Brandon that came close next a minute later but his shot was saved by Ross Channer.

It was looking like the breakthrough would not come, when a rasping Leon Cashman strike was well saved by Channer. He also made saves from a Charlie Gorman free kick and cleared up a goal mouth scramble.

With the break fast approaching, it took a piece of improvisation by Christie that finally broke down Sun. Again another shot at goal by Cashman was flicked home with his head by AFC's number 9. The visitors had a claim for a penalty on the stroke of half time but it was waved away by the referee.

Half Time: AFC Dunstable 1 Sun Sports 0

AFC were looking to carry on from were they left off in the first half but the visitors came close to drawing level. A 25 yard shot from Ashley Lewis took a ride on the wind and skimmed Ricky Perks crossbar. Playing against the wind, the home side were starting to rack up the pressure. Sub Danny Jones slipped in Christie but he could not get enough power in his shot. A minute later a Jones shot from distance flew just wide. Next up was two chances that fell to Beck and Christie, as the Sun defenders put their lives on the line to block them.

It was looking like AFC would have to settle for 1-0. Lewis Crowys who came on for Hall, pulled the ball down well and turned in the box but Channer once again saved. All the pressure finally paid off, when a Beck cross found Christie at the far post and he headed home with 8 minutes remaining. Looking for their 3rd, AFC's skipper Cashman had a header at goal from close range but he only found Channer's arms. 

The 3rd finally came on 85 minutes when Crowys stabbed home a Newman Carney corner. It was a good reward for the forward after his promotion from the reserves.

So a good day all round for AFC but their manager Steve Heath was not getting carried away, he said " while I was pleased the way the day panned out, we have only played 17 games and there are still 25 to go. I was happy with our 2nd half performance, as we showed some great commitment in very windy and difficult conditions. For BJ to pass the milestone of 175 goals is a fantastic achievement. He is a player that came through AFC's early youth system when it was first started back in 2004"

AFC Team: Perks. Massay. N.Carney. Griffiths. Beck. Griffith. B.Carney. Gorman. Christie. Cashman. Hall. Subs used. Jones. Crowys. Subs not used. Biggadike. Olaleye. Silvestri

Scorers: Christie (38.82) Crowys (85)

Attendance 64.

Highlights of the game can be found here. Courtesy of SUN SPORTS FC TV




Go to top