26th March - Bedford 1 AFC Dunstable 4

With this game being originally played over the Christmas period, Bedford had played an in-eligible player, so AFC had to make the trip to McMullen Park again to replay it. On that day both teams played out an entertaining 0-0 draw, this time the visitors made no mistake in picking up the 3 points on offer.

Selecting the same starting X1 as last time out, AFC started on the front foot and dominated 90% of the game. The afternoon mainly played out where the OD's could have been 3-0 up by half time. They had to be happy with a 1-0 lead but AFC keeper Ricky Perks had to make a great one on one save from Bedfords only meaningful attack of the half to protect the one goal lead.

The 2nd half was pretty much the same, as the visitors doubled their lead but still squandered chance after chance. With 10 minutes remaining, it looked liken Bedford were going to spoil a decent performance from AFC, when they pulled a goal back and were back in a game they should have not been. The visitors woke up in the final 8 minutes to secure two more goals and gave the scoreline a true reflection.

AFC kicked the game off and thought they had opened the scoring on 6 minutes, when Josh Humbert put the ball in the net but was flagged offside. They finally took the lead on 14 minutes when a Nathan Frater strike crashed against the crossbar. Brandon Carney nodded home the rebound but the Assistant Referee deemed Fraters shot had crossed the line.

The OD's continued to batter down the Bedford goal. BJ Christie was aching to add to his 39 goal tally for the season. Firstly he was denied by an upright, then a great save from James Woolf. The spectators in the main stand were getting neck ache as nearly all the play was in Bedfords half. A run from Christie was ended by Ollie Swan. As he bore down on goal, he was pulled back and Swan was lucky to escape with only a yellow card. Chances were coming thick and fast. B.Carney, Frater, Christie and a header from Leon Cashman should have made the half time drinks much more enjoyable.

Half Time: Bedford 0 AFC Dunstable 1

AFC domination did drop in the 2nd half but anything the visitors could throw at Woolf, he was up to the challenge as he pulled off a couple of wonderful saves. Finally AFC doubled their lead on 66 minutes. Charlie Gorman released Christie who raced towards goal. It was looking like he would be crowded out but somehow his determination paid off to clinch his 40th goal of the season.

It was now looking like the points were safe but then on 80 minutes a neat move saw the hosts pull a goal back through Nathan Hilaire. Surely AFC would not suffer from all the domination and chances they had created. It was not to be. From their 20th corner of the game, Woolf misjudged the flight and Bill Morgan was on hand to open his account for the club with 4 minutes left on the clock. A minute later it was 4-1 from yet another corner, Bedford failed to clear and substitute Jermaine Hall took advantage.

AFC boss Steve Heath said after the game " while we should have been out of sight by half time, Bedford should have no complaints about the scoreline. I was happy the way we responded when Bedford pulled a goal back"

AFC Team: Perks. Massay. N.Carney. Morgan. Cashman. B.Carney. Gorman. Olaleye. Christie. Humbert. Frater. Subs used. Hall. Byron. Subs not used. Griffiths. Beck. Jones.

Scorers: Frater (14). Christie (66). Morgan (86). Hall (87).

Go to top