6th December - Hanwell Town 2 AFC Dunstable 4

After recent results, it looked like it would be a long night for AFC, when they visited in-form Hanwell Town who were coming off the back of a great win at 2nd placed Farnborough on Saturday. It was not to be though, as a superb 2nd half performance was delivered by the team in blue and fully deserved the 3 points.

The visitors welcomed back Josh Humbert and Jermaine Hall, after they had served their one match bans. The 1st half was a very close affair, as both teams worked extremely hard to limit chances to a minimum.

Half time: Hanwell Town 0 AFC Dunstable 0

If the opening period was pretty much a drab affair, the 2nd half more than made up for it. The half was only 3 minutes old when AFC took the lead. Great work down the left by Hall picked out BJ Christie whose finish was quite exquisite. Two minutes later AFC nearly doubled their lead. A great chance fell to Hall but he blasted over.

Still creating chances, only 60 seconds later a Josh Humbert header was cleared off the line. AFC really had their tails up and the recent poor form seemed to have been forgotten.

Saying that, Hanwell had a great chance to pull a goal back on 53 minutes, when a wicked low cross eluded everyone. They finally did draw level 2 minutes later. There seemed to be no danger when the ball went in Danny Murphy's direction. It took a awful bounce which let in Zak Joseph who finished coolly.

With 58 minutes on the clock, the visitors regained the lead. From an excellent Newman Carney free kick, Terry Griffiths was on hand to stoop low to head home.

The 2nd half continued to serve up lots of entertainment and within 4 minutes of their 2nd goal it was 3-1 to AFC. When Ricky Perks comfortably collected a high ball, he drilled the ball low and hard to release Christie. He outpaced the home defence and chipped the ball over the advancing keeper.

For the next 11 minutes the game eased off a bit but a lovely move involving Christie and Adiel Mannion saw the latter set up Hall to strike home his 17th goal of the season.

It now looked like the game was won but back came Hanwell. A strong run by Joseph was too slippery for Griffiths and he mis-timed his tackle to concede a penalty. Up stepped Dean Allen to score. The home side pushed for a 3rd but some valiant defending kept them at bay.

With Hanwell pushing forward, the pace of Christie was causing Hanwell's back line nightmares. He should have completed his hat trick with 8 minutes left but his finish was not as cultured as his earlier effort. Hall then had an excellent chance to register another goal but shot wide.

Then with the game entering added on time, an amazing strike from 20 yards by Hanwell's sub smashed against Perks post and flew to safety. There was still time for another chance for AFC as Mannion was denied at the death by the home teams keeper.

Finally the referee blew the whistle for the end of the game and a great 3 points at a tough venue.

Team: Perks. Massay. Murphy. Griffiths. Morgan. N.Carney. Mannion. Olaleye (Bishop 74). Christie. Humbert (Cashman 66). Hall (B.Carney 86). Sub not used Byron.

Scorers: Christie 48 & 62. Griffiths 58. Hall 73

Go to top