14th January - Egham Town 3 AFC Dunstable 4

The visitors had to be thankful for their clinical finishing, as they left the leafy suburbs of Surrey with all 3 points.

In a game that was end to end, as the scoreline suggests, it was AFC that struck first blood after only 18 seconds. From the kick off, Jermaine Hall was on hand to round The Sarnies keeper Jamie Norris to give the visitors the lead. The game was settling into a pattern, were Egham had plenty of the ball but until the final 10 minutes, did not really threaten the AFC back line. On the other hand, when AFC wrestled the ball from them, they looked like they could stretch their lead.

With keeper Ricky Perks announcing his retirement during the week, AFC boss Steve Heath had to act swiftly to replace him. Returning to the club was 21 year old Garry Malone. For the majority of the game, he was only called upon on a couple of occasions, but when Egham threw caution to the wind when they found themselves 4-1 down, the final 10 minutes for him was more frantic.

With half time approaching, AFC doubled there lead when centre back Bill Morgan volleyed home from close range.

Half time: Egham Town 0 AFC Dunstable 2

The 2nd half pretty much mirrored the 1st. Egham probed for most of it, but when AFC strode forward they were more dangerous in front of goal. BJ Christie had a decent strike which just cleared the bar. The hosts did though pull a goal back, after a pressing run into the AFC box from Louis Steed, who finished well on 53 minutes. 

Again, Egham neat passing was nice to watch but they just could not carve out any real chances. They were then caught out, when Christie cut in from the left and fired home on 65 minutes. Christie was once again involved in AFC's 4th. His searching run down the left picked out Adiel Mannion at the far post to hit home 4 minutes later.

If AFC thought the game was won, back came the hosts. They pulled a goal back through their top scorer Brendan Matthew with 10 minutes left on the clock. It was now backs to the wall for AFC. It looked liked Egham had reduced the arrears 2 minutes later but it was ruled out for offside. Now into added time, The Sarnies had time to hit the post and then pull another goal back through Chris Moore.

Could AFC hang on, the answer was just about yes. Heath cut a drained figure at the final whistle saying " well that was a scary final 10 minutes. Up to then, I thought we managed the game quite well, without really putting in one of our better performances. In the end games are all about getting the 3 points and that is what we did today"

Team: Malone. Bishop (Massay 65). N.Carney. Griffiths. Morgan. Byron. Hall (Mannion 57). Cashman. Christie (B.Carney 75). Humbert. Frater. Sub not used. Silvestri

Scorers: Hall (1). Morgan (45). Christie (65). Mannion (69)

Attendance 82

Go to top