28th November - AFC Dunstable 1 Bedford Town 0

The OD's ended the month of November, with a gritty single goal win over local rivals Bedford Town. The victory meant AFC registered their 4th league win on the bounce, which saw them join 4 clubs on 35 points at the top of the table. 

With the Eagles drawing all types of media interest after their game was postponed on Saturday, when their players refused to take the field against Fleet Town, AFC were drawn into the questioning, even though the club had no idea what their reasons were.

Not knowing if the game would take place, it was confirmed on Monday that Bedford would fulfil the fixture, but AFC were in the dark on what team the visitors would field. Rumours were going around it would be a youth team but in the end the squad from Saturday all turned up at Creasey Park.

With all the hullabaloo surrounding the fixture, it finally kicked off on time. While the game was a typical derby with no quarter given, unfortunately the football on show was limited, but this was always going to be the case.

With Bedford in their illuminous yellow kit, their players stood out in the dark skies and that seemed to favour them, as the players were easily found. The first real chance of the half fell to the visitors, when they really should have taken the lead. Jamie Head came to AFC's rescue as he saved two efforts on his goal. 

20 minutes in, the hosts had their first real chance when a Jermaine Hall header was saved quite comfortably by Kyle Forster.

Then 2 minutes later the deadlock was broken. Nathan Frater broke into the Bedford penalty area. He got his shot away on goal and somehow it squirmed under Forster's body to give AFC the lead.

With half time approaching, AFC nearly doubled their lead. BJ Christie outpaced the Eagles defence and fired in a strike at goal that went narrowly wide.

Half time: AFC Dunstable 1 Bedford Town 0

The points were up for grabs with only a slender lead for AFC, in the end the 2nd period was a bit of a disappointment but maybe all the external goings on overshadowed the game, even though both sides gave everything, chances on goal were few and far between.

Each side had some free kicks in dangerous positions, but nothing really came of them.

As the game entered it's final 10 minutes, it took a bit of a sour turn. Niggly fouls were being committed by both sets of players, to the extent AFC were down to 10 men when Brett Longden received his 2nd yellow card. Even an altercation between the two benches had to be calmed down.

The last real chance of the game fell to Bedford in the dying seconds from a free kick. As the ball was delivered into the AFC box, James Peters got his head to it but put his effort over the bar.

AFC Team: Head. Longden. Carney. R.Frater. Morgan. Griffiths. Bircham (Cashman 80). Olalye. Christie (Tavernier 92). Hall. N.Frater. Subs not used. Cox. Hankins. Blackman.

Scorer: N.Frater (22).

Go to top