20th August. AFC Dunstable 0 London Colney 1

Suffering their first defeat of the season, AFC Dunstable were given a lesson on how to compete for the whole 90 minutes with pace and determination, as London Colney ran out deserved winners. 

Manager Steve Heath lamented " we were just not at the races tonight, I was asked "do you think London Colney surprised us" but no, all these players have played at this level for many years and should be able to adapt to any style of play"

Heath made a couple of changes with Moses Olaleye and George Biggadike starting, with Taishan Griffith and Jack Lauder reverting to the bench, as they picked up slight knocks in Friday night's FA Cup tie.

Again AFC started so slowly and were lucky not to be 1-0 down within 20 seconds. It got even worse as within 4 more minutes Colney had another decent chance. The visitors continued to play at a pace, as the AFC defence and midfield found it very hard to compete with them.

On 32 minutes London Colney took the lead from yet another set piece. A rasping strike hit the AFC crossbar and Greg Shaw was on hand to blast home the rebound. Not sitting back on their lead, Colney continued to press on and Louis Porcelli was called into action to make 2 fine saves. Up the other end, AFC strikers Louis Austin and Jermaine Hall were feeding on scraps and their only real chance came when Austin seemed to be felled in the box but the official signaled a hand ball against the forward. Half time AFC Dunstable 0 London Colney 1

The 2nd half was not such a frantic affair, as AFC slowly got back into the game but found Colney's defence in inspired form, as they snuffed out every attack to the extent their keeper did not have a save to make of any note.

It was now time for Heath to make some changes as Jonathan Cooper, Lee Stobbs and Jamal Harvey were introduced as he tried to go for the elusive goal. This was not to be, as London Colney still stood firm and were still very dangerous on the break as Porcelli still had to save some long range efforts.

Heath tried to explain the performance " I just cannot put my finger on why we were outplayed tonight, all the team have been superb in training and in the first 3 games and if there is a fitter team in the league I will be surprised" he continued " sometimes these type of games come along and hopefully just put it down as a one off. I must though give congratulations to London Colney. They were superb tonight and fully deserved the 3 points"

AFC Team: Porcelli. Mills. Silford (Cooper 45). Biggadike. Langston. Campbell (Stobbs 61). Warne. Bishop. Austin (Harvey 69). Olaleye. Hall. Subs not used. Griffith. Pickering

Crime Count. Olaleye (yellow card)

London Colney Team: Smith (J). Power. Smith (T). Murphy. Doolan. Shaw. Mardel. Sedgley. Davy. Collins. Hartley. Subs. Lawrence. Gallagher. Nicolau. Cohen. Armstrong.

Scorer: Shaw (32)

Crime Count. Shaw. Davy (both yellow cards)

Referee: Calum Chittenden. Assistants: John Chidley & Dave Aylott

Attendance 73


Go to top