6th September. CB Hounslow 1 AFC Dunstable 3 (FA Vase)

After the disappointment of last Sunday's exit from the FA Cup, AFC progressed in another FA competition with a comfortable 3-1 win the Vase.

AFC Manager Steve Heath for the first time this season had quite a few players unavailable, Moses Olaleye was suspended, Kyle Lincoln had work commitments, Louis Austin picked up a knee injury against Uxbridge and new signing Enzo Silvestri was ill. He did though welcome back Fabio Bufano from his brief spell at Conference South club Hayes and Yeading and skipper Wayne Mills.

Combined Counties outfit Hounslow compete one step below AFC, so Heath had to make sure no complacency set in. The opening 20 minutes was pretty much a dull affair but at least both teams got the ball down and played keep ball on a very nice playing surface. AFC finally broke the deadlock when Bufano struck from a corner on 24 minutes to give the visitors the lead. AFC continued to press and finished the half strongly with decent chances falling to Jermaine Hall and Marcus Campbell.

Half Time. CB Hounslow 0 AFC Dunstable 1

With the planes roaring overhead, as Heathrow Airport was only a stones throw away, the visitors continued to take the advantage and went looking for the 2nd goal. Hounslow keeper Samson Okporporkpo made a couple of fine saves to keep AFC at bay but when Jamal Harvey worked his magic on the right, he crossed for Hall to head home with 18 minutes left on the clock. The tie now seemed sewn up and Bufano should have made it 3-0 but his header was wayward. Louis Porcelli in the AFC goal was mainly a spectator, this though was to change, as the AFC back line got caught square and Olunde Akinsanya broke clear and finished well. This renewed confidence saw the hosts up their game and now Poreclli had to save from Nick Hardy.

With 6 minutes remaining, AFC fears were put to bed when George Biggadike finally settled the tie with a glancing header past Okporporkpo. So onto the next round when Leverstock Green visit Creasey Park on October 4th.

A relieved AFC boss Steve Heath said " this could have been a banana skin. I had a few experienced players unavailable today and our journey over here was a nightmare as it took nearly 2 hours. I would like to thank the match officials for understanding our lateness and only having 25 minutes to warm up, the players responded excellently"

CB Hounslow Team: Okporporkpo. Knight. Payne. Ireland. Stirling. Said. Baker. Thompson. Akinsanya. Hardy. Hunte. Subs Tomkins. Ali. Smith. MacWilliam.

Scorer: Akinsanya (76)

AFC Team. Porcelli. Mills. Warne. Biggadike. Bufano. Griffiths. Cooper. Bishop. Harvey. Campbell. Hall. Subs: Lauder. Langston. Olawambi all not used.

Scorers: Bufano (24). Hall (72). Biggadike (84)

Attendance 35.

Referee: Adam Donaldson. Assistants: John Doe & Mohammad Dilawari







Go to top