7th October. London Colney 2 AFC Dunstable 1

AFC lost ground on the leaders, as a mis-jointed performance was put in but they came so close to grabbing a point as the game drew to an end.

Injuries are really hitting the squad hard at the moment as Steve Heath has missing Leon Cashman, Jonathan Cooper, Wayne Mills, Jermaine Hall, Louis Austin, Jack Lauder, Damien Pickering and new signing Chris Francis.

London Colney, who we have now played twice already, came to Creasey Park on August 20th and played some attractive football and well deserved their win. Expecting the same tonight, they probably were not as fluid but still were very dangerous upfront.

Even though both of Colney's goals were well taken in the first half, AFC contributed to them with sloppy play. The Blueboys onslaught started right from the kick off and it seemed AFC were weathering the storm until George Biggadike dilly dallied on the ball and was robbed. Trying to make amends, he made a foul on the edge of the AFC box. Up stepped Greg Shaw who slotted home the resulting free kick on 14 minutes with great accuracy.

To be fair to AFC, they started to gain a bit of a foot hold in the game and went looking for the equaliser. They now had more of the ball and were pushing hard upto half time but then a misplaced pass on the edge of Colney's goal, saw the ball given away and they broke with pace as Cain Davey ran the whole length of the pitch and his superb cross eluded Matt Langston and Biggadike for Jimmy Hill to finish well at the far post on the stroke of half time.

Half time. London Colney 2 AFC Dunstable 0

Heath's frustrated half time team talk seemed to have the desired affect, as AFC competed a lot better and matched Colney in most areas. The 2nd half was very even and when Tashian Griffith was hacked down yet again on the edge of the box, this time Newman Carney free kick matched Shaw's in the first half and reduced the arrears with 11 minutes remaining. This gave AFC renewed hope as they camped in the hosts half. Firstly a Fabio Bufano header went goal bound but was straight at Jamie Jackson in the Colney goal. The best chance fell to Jamie Warne with 90 seconds left but his strike from 6 yards did not have enough power and accuracy to bother their defence. Jimmy Hartley did have the ball in the net from a Carney corner but the assistant referee deemed the ball had gone out and came back in play.

Heath's response after the game was more of frustration " I feel I have got a strong squad but the amount of injuries at the moment would hinder any team. It is not an excuse but a fact, saying that though, it is chance for others to grasp their place in the team and stake their claim. I thought after the great win at Kings Langley, we would go on a strong run but losing 5 of that starting line up has hit the team hard.

London Colney team: Jackson. Power. Mardel. Murphy. Doolan. Shaw. Davey. Ridgeway. Hill. Beck. Gallagher. Subs. Millard. Woods. Sedgley. Brown. Tillbrook.

Scorers: Shaw (14). Hill (40)

Crime Count: Shaw (Yellow card)

AFC team: Porcelli. Biggadike. Carney. Bufano. Langston. Griffith. Campbell (Harvey 68). Olaleye. Bishop. Silvestri (Hartley 80). Warne. Sub not used: Buckley

Scorer: Carney (79)

Crime Count: Silvestri. Bishop (Yellow cards)

Officials: Gary Baker. Assistants: Grant Mathias & John Taverner

Attendance 49. 

Go to top